Case Study - Cities:Skylines
China Marketing for Paradox Interactive
Paid Media User Acquisition for Cities:Skylines in China.
Paradox Interactive approached us to help market their game Cities:Skylines in China. The game had been made available on local digital platforms and via Steam but had previously never been marketed so awareness was low.
- Paradox needed to target the specific gaming niche audience of PC desktop simulation players.
- They needed all new localised creative.
- In addition they had no local platforms set-up or governmental approval for marketing.
Raise Awareness & Drive Sales
We were tasked with raising awareness of the brand in China and driving sales through the WeGame platform.
- We built a digital acquisition strategy, targeting specific sites, categories, and audience profiles, as well as helping them produce all localised creatives.
- Further, we worked with Chinese authorities to get their business and all creative approved.
- We also assessed all current landing page content in China and gave recommendations for changes.
“It was a pleasure to work with The Game Marketer! Their proactiveness and suggestions of different solutions were much appreciated throughout the whole campaign cycle.”
Julija Laskovska, User Acquisition Manager, Paradox Interactive
We built numerous creatives for the standard game as well as its DLC. We also created specific Chinese New Year celebration adverts.
- Analysed the market and available data and audited current CN Landing pages.
- Steam & WeGame
- Social Media Channels (WeChat, BilliBilli, Weibo)
- Built programmatic media campaigns to target “PC Gamers” in China.
- High Reach providers e.g. Tencent, Baidu, Youku, Iqiyi, Qihoo360
- Niche Gaming Social Sites e.g. BiliBili, Gamersky, LeTV
- Targeted high value VIP users who normally skip Ads.
- Optimised campaign e.g. Time of Day, PC, CS Social
- Developed new localised media content for Chinese players.
- Localised calls to action
- Chinese New Year Campaign
- Sunset Harbour DLC
- New Cities Website
- Created tracking pixels to help identify and target players.
- Building data profile of high performing media and users.
- Retargeting engaged but not converted users.
- Measured results, buy conversion & user journeys.
Increase in total engagement with over 500 million views of Cities:Skylines adverts across China. Maintained a low CPC throughout the entire campaign while still bidding on premium inventory and saw an Increase in overall sales. In addition helped build a player profile for China and clear understanding within the business of the China market.